Monday, October 8, 2007

Home is Where the Heart Is

They say home is where the heart is. I've always taken this to mean that wherever your heart is, that is what is truly home to you. But lately, it's sort of been switched around. It's still true. Home is where my heart is. But rather than it being, "There is where my heart is, therefore there is my home," it is "There is my home, therefore there is where my heart is." I spend nine hours a day at work; at a job that I like! Yet I find myself visiting my own blog, to look at pictures of my own apartment, as if doing so will somehow teleport me home early. Now, there is very little that is "endearing" about where we live. It is not the location, the neighborhood or the apartment itself. It what I could be doing there...it's the possibility of real homemaking...
This past weekend, I spent most of my time and energy cleaning, doing laundry, cooking, washing dishes, grocery shopping, and doing a little bit of relaxing with Kyle. It was a really great weekend:) But it made me so impatient...I am so anxious for the day that I can be a full-time housewife. I love chores when I can really pour my time and energy into them, rather than doing them hastily after work and dinner. I could spend all day doing laundry, and would be perfectly content to wash dishes for a hour straight. I can't wait until I have all day, or even a full hour straight. I never thought that chores would be relaxing...and perhaps they aren't truly relaxing, so much as they are...fulfilling, on a small scale. I can't wait until I will be able to really put my time and effort into keeping a home that Kyle will love to come home to.

No comments: